- GIGA signs cooperation agreement with China Foreign Affairs University
GIGA signed in April 2011 a cooperation agreement with the China Foreign Affairs University in Beijing. Cooperation will focus on the exchange of researchers and Ph.D. students as well as joint research and conference activities in the areas of East Asian Studies, Asia-Europe as well as Sino-European relations, global studies and international relations/global governance. For further information please contact Dr Patrick Koellner.
- GIGA signs cooperation agreement with the Institute of Asia-Pacific-Studies
GIGA signed in January 2011 a cooperation agreement with the Institute of Asia Pacific Studies, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS), Beijing.
Through the signing of cooperation agreements, the GIGA has been able to build its collaboration with leading universities and think tanks and lay the foundation for formal cooperation in the areas of research and knowledge transfer.
To date, cooperation agreements have been finalised with the following institutions:
- Al-Ahram Center for Political and Strategic Studies, Kairo (ACPSS)
- China Foreign Affairs University, Beijing
- Department of Comparative Politics, University of Bergen, Norway
- Facultad Latinoamericana de Ciencias Sociales, Santiago de Chile (FLACSO-Chile)
- Fundación Global Democracia y Desarrollo, Santo Domingo, Dominikanische Republik (FUNGLODE)
- Fundación para las Relaciones Internacionales y el Diálogo Exterior, Madrid (FRIDE)
- Instituto de Ciências Sociais da Universidade de Lisboa (ICS-UL)
- Instituto de Estudios Internacionales de Universidad de Chile
- Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses, New Delhi (IDSA)
- Institute of Asia Pacific Studies, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, Beijing (CASS)
- Pontifica Universidad Javeriana, Bogotá
- Pontificia Universidad Católica Chile, Chile (PUC-Chile)
- Pontifícia Universidade Católica do Rio de Janeiro, Brasilien (PUC-Rio)
- School of International Relations and Public Affairs at Fudan University, Shanghai
- Tongji-Universität, Shanghai
- Universidad del Rosario, Bogotá
- Universidad do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Brasilien (UERJ)
- Universität Leeds, Großbritannien
- Universität Sheffield, Großbritannien
- University of Salamanca, Spanien (USAL)
- Universidad Torcuato de Tella, Buenos Aires , Argentinien (UTDT)
The GIGA co-operates with the University of Hamburg and other universities by joint hiring processes for professorships.
- The GIGA and the Leuphana University Lüneburg have appointed Dr. Sebastian Elischer to the position of junior professor on 1 October 2012, following a joint hiring process. The position includes employment as a research fellow at the GIGA. Sebastian Elischer is an academic staff member at IAA and in RP1 and RP4.
- The GIGA's President and Vice-President and some of the directors of the GIGA's regional institutes hold professorships at the University of Hamburg.
- The GIGA and the Faculty of Economic Sciences at Georg August University of Göttingen have appointed Jann Lay to the position of junior professor for economics with a focus on research on developing countries, effective April 1, 2009, following a joint hiring process. The position includes employment as a research fellow at the GIGA. Jun. Prof. Dr. Jann Lay is an academic staff member at ILAS and in RP3.
The GIGA values international exchange between researchers and is willing to host visiting researchers. Of special interest are those scientists who work on subjects coherent with the GIGA's research profile.
Our tight financial situation forces us to require guaranteed third-party funding. Scholarships are often granted by the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation and the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
Contact person: Prof. Dr. Robert Kappel,
||For new residents from both Germany and abroad, the Hamburg Welcome Center helps to arrange immigration documents for qualified employees and students and provides free advice on the following topics: accommodation, economy and labour, school education and university studies, children and family, and culture and leisure.
The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation is very interested in promoting scientific collaborations in the humanities, social sciences and legal sciences with both Islamic countries and Asian threshold countries, such as China and India. To better reach the scientific elites of these countries, the foundation has made the following offer for the coming years:
- 10 additional Humboldt research fellowships per year for postdocs in the humanities, social sciences and legal sciences from Islamic countries.
- 10 additional Humboldt research fellowships per year for postdocs in the humanities, social sciences and legal sciences from threshold countries in Asia (China, India and others).
Information on the programmes is available at: www.humboldt-foundation.de/new.
Should you have questions or wish for further information, please contact the
Alexander von Humboldt Foundation at: firstname.lastname@example.org
or per mail or fax at: Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung, Jean Paul
Str. 12, 53173 Bonn, Germany, Phone: 49-228 833-0, Fax: 49-228-833-114.
|The GIGA cooperates with universities and research institutes in Germany, Europe
and the regions under study. Similarly, the area studies research institutes
and programmes are in close contact with national and international area studies
The institutes were instrumental in setting up the African Studies Association
in Germany (VAD), the German Association for Asian Studies (DGA), the German
Middle East Studies Association for Contemporary Research and Documentation
(DAVO), and the German Association of Research on Latin America (ADLAF).
- Centre de Recherche sur le Monde Arabe Contemporaine (CERMAC), Amman, Jordan
- Institute for International Studies (IDE), Shanghai, China
- Marga Institute: Sri Lanka Center for Development Studies, Columbo, Sri Lanka
- Rabindra Bharati University, Calcutta, India
Arbeitskreis für Entwicklungsländerforschung (IafEF)